I stress safety with my passengers at all times. I am a participant in Transport Canada’s Small Vessel Compliance Program (SVCP) and you may view a copy of my certificate to the right.
I have been sailing on all sorts of vessels for over 35 years, and sailing in Cape Breton for 10 years on many boats large and small. During this time, I have maintained a perfect passenger safety record.
- All passengers are briefed on safety procedures before every trip on the Bras d’Or Lakes or the coast of Cape Breton
- Passengers take an active role in maintaining a safe vessel. I appreciate and expect responsible behaviour from all passengers
- All passengers have the choice of whether to wear a personal floatation device (PFD) but children will be required to do so. No one has ever fallen over or been injured on my vessel and I intend to keep it that way
- I educate my passengers about safe boating procedures and make sure that the boat is operated in a safe manner. If you choose to move about the boat, please ask the captain first. The conditions may require all to stay in the cockpit
- Please wear soft-soled shoes. Tennis shoes or court shoes are best. This is not just for comfort, but also to reduce the probability of slipping on the deck
For more information about boating safety, visit the Safe Boating Guide on the Transport Canada Website.